Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Race Calendar and goals for 2014

Before I get to my race calendar, let's talk training and goals.

Before this winter, I did all of my training outdoors. We had a very mild winter in 2013, so I was able to run outside. But with doing longer runs and earlier running, the temps this year have been rough. I had to run for the first time on a treadmill. I hated that first run! But as it got colder, I got used to it and even tried different paces and inclines. It's still not my favorite, but I don't hate it anymore.

A couple of weeks ago, I joined a local gym. My husband and I talked about it, and he was getting very nervous about me running alone at 5am 3-4 days a week. So we compromised and let me join the gym for the weekday runs and weight training, as long as my long runs were with friends on Saturday mornings. I go after I drop my youngest off at preschool, and finish up in time to pick her up.

I worked with a trainer and she set me up with a routine to tone my arms and abs, and a few exercises to work my upper legs. I still do the treadmill before I do any weights. I still have to get my miles in for my training!

I've also been able to get in extra miles this month with my 10 yr old daughter. She decided she wanted to run a 5K, so 2 days a week I run 2-3 miles with her and 2 days a week my husband runs 1-2 miles with her. I've so very proud of her for getting out of her comfort zone and going for this!

I did the Moms Run This Town winter virtual in early February, I did the 5K in 25 minutes in the rain, sorry no pictures. This one was on my own!

My 2014 Race Calendar (as it stands today!)

March 15, 2014- Rock N Roll Half Marathon, Washington, DC. This is where Emily is running her 5K!!

April 6, 2014- Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, Washington DC. I did the 5K last year, so excited to do the 10 miler!

April 27, 2014- Manassas Runway 10K, Manassas, VA. This one looks fun, flattest 10K I'll ever run since it's on an airport runway!

May 18, 2014- Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon, Fredricksburg, VA. The first half marathon I did was along some of the same course. I'm determined to not let Hospital Hill get the best of me this time!

July will be another Moms Run This Town (MRTT) virtual race (one each summer and winter). My local MRTT chapter may sign up for Twilight 5K in late July

October 4-5, 2014. Crawling Crab Shell Yeah Challenge, Hampton, VA. Saturday I will run a 5K and Sunday I will run a Half Marathon!

November I hope to do at least one Turkey Trot. December I might try the Blue and Grey Half Marathon again and hopefully do the Ringing in Hope 10K again, but that will depend on a few things we are trying to figure out first. In other words, what days we'll be at Disney World!!

This week my scheduled miles should be 11 miles at the gym during the week, plus I will hopefully get 2-3 miles in with Emily after school one day. We are predicted to have ice and snow starting tonight, so I hope to make it to the gym tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment